Sunday, September 18, 2011

Dear Jay-Z,


I've been in many debates, with you being the subject matter. The question undoubtedly is "What's your favorite Jay-Z album?" I've heard everyone name the critically acclaimed Reasonable Doubt, Blueprint, American Gangster, and the Black Album. I personally refuse to partake in the order of which of these albums are your "best". How can I seriously consider putting these in order? I won't do it. What I will say is, my favorite album from you undoubtedly is In My Lifetime, Vol. 1...yeah that's right. The sophomore solo album which in my mind, set the tone of the rest of your career.

I see you mention a lot of your albums with so much pleasurable contemplation but I don't know if you realize, it seems as though you brush over IMLV1 like it was just some thing you did to fulfill contractual obligations. I don't know if this is true because I don't know you now and I didn't know you then. All I do know is in 1997, there was a whole lot going on emotionally with the death of Notorious B.I.G. It was truly sickening and sad. Brooklyn and the whole NYC was hurting.

In My Lifetime Time Vol. 1, your sophomore album was an honest album (as are all of your albums). It was a self proclaiming album. In my opinion you basically let everyone know where you was coming from and where you were planning to go from that point forward. You was gunning for the crown early and in 1997 there was a lot of rappers and M.C.'s looking to take the reign. It was something you reiterated. In addition, you gave anyone who doubted you're capabilities as a artist reason to pause, take a listen and think again.
And so I listened, and listened and listened again; not because of doubt, but because it's an awesome album that's STILL in heavy rotation on my ipod. Here are a couple of your quotes I noted to illustrate my appreciation for THIS album:

  • A Million And One Questions/ Rhyme No More "I got mouths to feed, 'til they put flowers on me..." What a intro...I loved this song for so many reason. DJ Premier, set the tone with this classic. Yeah I said it, "classic".
  • The City is Mine f. Blackstreet "Taking this rap thing serious to my demise, J shit like cake mix, watch me rise" Say What you want about this song but it's still fire to me. Not only was it full of wonderful claims of grandeur but it paid homage to BIG. The late 90's was a really interesting time in rap music it was wide open. Best place to listen to this song is riding on the FDR Drive. Great for a scenic tour.
  • I Know What Girls Like Only because of Puffy I think this song should be remixed to be a way better 2012 version. I hope Kim wrote that verse because it was good. Moreover, that whole last verse is super sweet *go listen to it* and it illustrates you know how to treat a lady hence why you got Beyonce. I wasn’t surprise why after all these years you both are still together, but anyway...
  • Imaginary Players THIS WHOLE SONG *go listen to it again* If this is how you felt in 1997/1998, I can only imagine how you feel now.
  • Streets is Watching “Me and money are like armed co defendants"/“I felt like life was cheating me, for the first time in my life I was getting money, but it was like my conscious was eating me” This quote is choice on so many levels. This was the rational for the career change from part-time to full time rap SUPERSTAR
  • Friend Or Foe ’98 “I tried talk sensibly, hoping that eventually you’ll realize I had this locked and it just wasn’t meant to be” Quality over quantity I can dig it.
  • Lucky Me “I swear to everything when I leave this earth; gonna be on both feet never knees in the dirt”/ “Hate the price of fame cause it cost too much, can I live without you niggas saying I floss too much, hate the way you make this hate flow all through us, steady looking for flaws to us, Lucky Me.” Nothing to add here. I feel you Jay.
  • (Always Be My) Sunshine “Me and you balling from the heavens or hell, won’t let you hit the ground if I’m falling myself” Stop shitting on this song. This your life Mr. Carter for the last 10 years. Don’t think we haven’t been noticing you dropping gems for her. Fooled no one, though your discretion is the coolest part of your relationship. No news is good news.
  • Who You Wit II “Can he live? Trick on a mainchick, but if she leave just as quick indian give....you be the same chick when you leave, leave the bankbook and the credit cards and take everything you came with” This theme is referenced quite often on all your albums to some degree. Your wife and you we’re made for each other. I don’t know who else could have met your requirements. Really, could B give a fuck about signing a prenup when she’s a brand in herself? I could never see you pulling a Reggie Bush, you don’t fall for hoes. No matter how bad she is.
  • Face Off “I’m the main-fucking attraction, you just foreplay, get it h(i)-ot. I come through blow up the sp(i)ot with a, keep it cocked faithful like ‘s???’ with a one in a drop(top) don’t get hit up” I think you will have the crown as long as you want. Who knows, maybe you can be the first M.C. to have a show in Vegas...with your wife of course. Who says you have to stop. I kind of see you being like 60 being the main-fucking attraction in Vegas. Word.
  • Real Niggaz f. Too Short “If you ballin, keep ballin, nigga you jealous? Stop. I want Biggie to rest in peace, as well as Pac” United we stand divided we fall. Real niggaz do real things (like go to the first black President’s inauguration) enough said.
  • Rap Game/ Crack Game “Priority’s work wasn’t right so I switch factories, now I’m the new nigga, now who figured I get the game locked? Now watch how the prices of your cocaine drop.” Manifesto has been proven. I’ve seen you in concert more than anyone. I’ve seen the growth and confidence of your live performances. I’ve also noticed I’m willing to pay more for your crack. (ie WTT Concert hurt in a recession) *smh*
  • Where I’m From “Your word was everything, so everything you said you do-you did it. Couldn’t talk about it, if you ain’t live it. This song without a doubt your favorite off your this album. It takes me right back to the Brooklyn I grew up in as a kid- pre gentrification and although that shit was cray, it was still an awesome time to grow up.
  • You Must Love Me THIS whole song. *go play it again* It’s a example of unconditional love from a perspective of a young hustler in Brooklyn. If you’re able to deal with the guilt of selling crack to your mom and shooting your brother I can see how you can follow through with business even if it has the potential to damage personal relationships going forward. Nonetheless, I’m sure you’ve made it up to them with lots of love.
So, I went to see Watch the Throne in New Jersey and something happened to motivate me to finish this post. I originally started writing this 9/18/2011. Check out what happened in this video. Way too long to write about.

Sincere with admiration,

A loyal fan struggling in Brooklyn but still going to your concerts

No comments:

Post a Comment